9/18/2014

Some of the Challenges

The "Big F" spent about a week in the car before the old "D" went back in. I expected to face challenges with the test fit, for instance clearance issues between the crank pulley and the frame rail; which there was. But, the biggest challenges I faced during this process had to do with the re-install of the original engine. Lists are fun, so I've listed what went wrong in order of occurrence:

Power Steering
I knew before the Big F runs the P/S would need to be "deleted." That time came sooner than I intended. The pump, hoses, reservoir ect. were such a headache and made such a mess while the F was in the bay that once I had easy access to the rack (between pulling the F and installing the D) the hard lines were cut, looped and supply and return were capped. Goodbye power steering!

Pedestal Motor Mount
The car is 14 years old and has 176k miles on the odo. Things are going to break. The driver's side mount- or "pedestal mount" due to it's shape and orientation was broken clean through. From the test fit I discovered that this could not feasibly be reused even if it hadn't been broken. 

Driver's Side Half-Shaft/Hub
The first few drafts of this one were pretty long... Here is the short version. The axle had been glued/thread-locked/epoxied into the hub splines. There were clear signs of some ham-fisted hammering by the previous owner's mechanic which left damage to the end of the stub and the hub itself. It put up a valiant fight but in the end my 3lb sledge was the victor. A failed repair attempt on the axle stub lead to the purchase of a new axle. The adhesive remaining in the hub splines prevented install of the new axle. Scrapping with picks and chisels gave way to hand filing with a 60° triangle file. FIXED!

No Speedometer!
I had previously found some corrosion of the center speed sensor pin. The root cause being some coolant that had spilled from the heater hose when it was disconnected. I had been able to clear away the corrosion initially and the sensor worked fine for over a year that way. However the corrosion continued, deteriorating the pin in the sensor and corresponding connector. When the connector was removed from the sensor it pulled the pin out of the sensor with it. The sensor needed replacing and the corroded connector was replaced as well. All new! Well, part new part good-used.

Passenger's Side Half-Shaft
I take full credit for causing this one. About 1 mile into my favorite test drive loop near the house, approaching the first stop sign at the end of the back road where I test the suspension and tires... I ease off in first gear then loose power to the wheels. Engine is still running, shifter still works, clutch feels normal. I roll into the grass on the side of the road with my remaining momentum and pop the hood. My suspicion was confirmed when I see the inner joint of the right side half shaft hanging halfway out of the transaxle case. I had felt a "click" when I installed it, but it seams I didn't have the clip fully seated. Jacked, removed the wheel for access and with the help and tools of a passerby, I re-seated the half shaft and all was well.

These are the items that need to be addressed before this long overdue project is up and running. The next big project is already starting to come together though. "Big F" will suit the new project as well. I'll explain why when we cross that bridge. For now, share with me in holding breath until this thing is ready. Thanks for checking in!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment